With cars left laid up as the country shuts down to deal with the Coronavirus pandemic, there’s a good chance that your tyres could suffer some damage from being stood still for some time.
The tyre experts at Falken agree and have offered some vital tips on looking after your tyres to prevent damage that can occur during longer layups.
- Now’s the perfect time to inspect your tyres. Check for uneven tread wear as well as any cuts, bulges in the sidewall. In the tread surface, check for nails and screws embedded in the tyre and if there are stones lodged in the tread, carefully remove these.
- Are all the valve caps present? Valve caps prevent dirt and moisture from getting in the valve and causing issues. Replace any missing ones.
- Check tyre pressures and increase them by around 15PSI over the standard recommended pressure whilst the car is laid up. This will prevent damage and potential flat spots. Put a note inside the car to remind you to return the pressures to normal when you start using it again.
- If you are planning on laying up your car for an even longer period, consider jacking the car up so the tyres aren’t in contact with the ground. So-called ‘tyre trainers’ that support the tyre to minimise flat spots and premature perishing are another option.
- If you can, put the car in a garage. The darker and cooler conditions will protect the tyres. If your car is outside, tyre covers, made from reflective aluminium material, are also an option to shield your tyres from sunlight and other weather damage as your car is laid up.
- If you have a spare set of cold weather tyres, make sure they are stored in a cool, dry, dark place away from oils and solvents that could damage them.
Once we’re back to normal, check once again that everything is ok, reduce the pressure back to normal levels and, if you’ve any doubts, get the tyres checked by a tyre specialist.
Latest posts by Phil Huff (see all)
- First Drive: Toyota GR Yaris - 19 November 2020
- Rezvani Hercules 6×6 Is an Unstoppable Monster Pickup Truck for the Road - 16 November 2020
- Tested: Chipex Ultra-High Performance Aquaphobic Screen Wash - 25 October 2020